Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Elevated

This poem was inspired by so many people I've met throughout my journey. I hope that it inspires you!


I sometimes ask the questions
If God loves me, then why can’t I love myself?
Why am I only happy when I’m pleasing someone else?
Even I can’t understand
Why my desire for the love of man
Exceeds my desire for the love of God



Growing up in a small town with good looks, a nice figure, and a witty personality
Easily made me popular and earned me fame
Then I moved to a place where no one knew my name
Years of unhappiness passed and I had no one to blame, but myself
Because I got content with putting me on the bottom shelf
To help display everyone else



And as time went on, I managed to create an invisible image of myself
Even I became blind to who I was
I was lost, feeble, and confused
But I continued on allowing myself to be used
Now I’m just abused



Hurt from all the pain I allowed myself to experience
By lowering my standards and accepting less than what God said I could have
Such a fool I am
To live my life this way
And continuously pay
A debt that I don’t even owe



They say you reap what you sow
And that’s true
But if you keep allowing yourself to be consumed
You will forever feel blue
Dejected and concealed
In a state of mistaking identity
To a point of crisis



And that’s exactly where I am today
I’m afraid that if I don’t begin to change my ways
I will only have worse days
To look forward to
And because my past has proven this to be true



I have decided that today, I will start living for me again
I declare myself now loosed from the sin
Of putting others before God
I'm going to take all the memories of the old me
And create a trail that will help me find who I am
The person God Himself created me to be



And once I find my true self
I will never go back to the bottom shelf
Because I know what it feels like to be there



Consider me elevated!



© 2010 All rights reserved to The MeSSenger

2 comments:

  1. I got the first comment! Awesome! Hey buddy, love your poems. They give me more inspiration than you know. I hope I grow up to be like you: confident, talented, and intelligent. Look forward to more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks niece, I fill honored. However, I hope you grow up to be better than me: more talented, extremely confident, more intelligent, and a true woman of God. Continue on the right path and you'll see more green pastures than dead fields.

    ReplyDelete